novel forensic methods and solutions for tracing digital currency flows in criminal investigationS IN THE post-Bitcoin era virtual currencies
The goal of the VIRTCRIME project lies in the development of novel algorithms and methods for tracing criminal transactions in post-Bitcoin era virtual currency systems, while considering illegitimate activities in Darknet market places. Expected tools will build upon results from previous projects (e.g., BITCRIME) and can be validated by stakeholders in an early project phase using real-word application use cases. Orthogonally, the project will provide novel criminological procedures and law enforcement approaches, and investigate legal pre-conditions and consequences.
The expected results of the VIRTCRIME project are:
- novel criminological procedures and evaluations of legal conditions and consequences,
- novel algorithmic methods for analysing post-Bitcoin era virtual currencies,
- novel monitoring methods for Darknet market places, and
- a test environment, which allows cross-domain validation of methods based on real-world application scenarios.
- AIT – Austrian Institute of Technology
- Universität Innsbruck
- Xylem – Science and Technology Management GmbH
- Research Institute GmbH
- Bundesministerium für Inneres, Abt. II/BK/7
- Bundesministerium für Finanzen, Abt. IV/3
01/2018 - 12/2019